Wednesday, 7 December 2011

Hand In and Designer Presentation

Ok so it was last Friday, 2nd December 2011, so I am posting this a bit late, sorry.

So this was the day that this topic was all over, it was the day that we got to hand all our work in and start a fresh, and for some people it was such a relief. I have to say I was one of those people, not that I was bored with it, it was more I was ready to let go, start fresh and move onto something new (mostly my dissertation *snore*).

I woke up feeling surprisingly chirpy considering I'd only had 20 minutes sleep, which totaled up to a whole hour in the last 72 hours. When arriving at university and fighting with the printers to get my presentation boards off, the tiredness started to kick in, but fortunately for me but probably not for my body I had a cheap version of Redbull on hand to keep me going. We set up the studio, I set up the camera (Canon 1D Mark 2N) so we were already for Charlotte's arrival. About 30 minutes later after a lot of form filling on all of our behalf (hand in receipt bumph) she arrived. As I've said in previous posts she's not a scary person, she's down to earth, friendly, helpful and just an all round lovely person, but this didn't stop everyone including myself going into a blind panic about presenting our work to a professional, if you've never done it before, in fact even if you have it is a very very daunting thing to do.

So after a cup of tea the day kicks off, with the Fashion students (I'm combined Fashion and Textiles... or has my tutor calls it a "Hybrid") I got snap happy with the camera, it took a few people for me to warm up properly with it and work out how best to do it but I was fairly quick at picking up on the best places and ways to take photos of everything.

After a small break my model arrived and it was time for my group (Fashion and Textiles combined) to show our work, I was 9th, which gave me a bit longer to prepare and figure out the best way to present my work whilst still snapping away at everyone's work. So now it was my turn, I passed the beloved camera on to my friend who however much I trust not to drop/break to camera it still made me very very very nervous, in fact I was having kittens for the whole time it was out of my hands, but I had to try and focus on the task in hand. My model came out wearing the top I'd made, which I'd styled up with a mustard yellow hat from Primark, grey/black motorcycle jeggings from H&M and some beautiful navy wedges also from H&M (which I now have in black yay!).

Anyway I talked through my research, The overall design came from the Koi carp I was first looking at, which then became transferred into an origami fish which I translated into the panels on the front of the garment. This same fish was also used for the motifs in my print design along with an origami iris, to add to the print design I added textures to the fish by playing around with photoshop, the key affect I was looking for was water which I think I managed to create and put across quite well, the water idea came from my koi carp again at the beginning of my research. The overall garment design came from the origami fish, but the side skirts on the top came from a cross between this and the koi carp as I had started to play around with fans which then related back to fish fins. The texture of the fabric came from water and also the Japanese garden you saw me visit in my last post. I used a silk to create a draped affect for the side skirts and also to break up the harshness of the bodice with the collar and sleeves, this also added a fluid look to my garment relating back to water. The texture of the main part of the bodice came from looking at walls and wood in the Japanese garden which I'd taken rubbings from, I'd searched and searched for a fabric with references to the textures whilst still being wearable.

I summed all this up for Charlotte and she seemed really impressed, she even said "I'm impressed" which made me absolutely thrilled to bits, over comments from her were "You're 3 years a head of where you should be", "it's everything you said it was", "it looks professional and very well made", "well researched" and there was others which I've forgotten now but I was very very happy and thrilled with the outcome :).

We then started to look at my textile collection, and after having doubts myself as to whether some should be edited out (I had more than what I needed) Charlotte picked up on the same thing pretty quickly, which obviously I agreed with, that being said some of the affects I'd created/found in the others I will looking into in my next project, however it was just too much going on together.

After mine there was only 3 more people then it was the end of my group and we broke for lunch. After lunch was just textiles, the biggest group, by this time and after sitting down for an hour the tiredness was really starting to kick in, but clicking away on the camera kept me awake and before I knew it the day was over...

Although not quite because I had a Pugwash News meeting at 6pm, as I'm Deputy Editor of our university newspaper. That was another 2 hours then I finally got home after a half an hour walk, and I don't think I've ever been so happy to see my bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment